A Medical Hub for the Region
The healthcare sector in Mauritius has metamorphosed itself into an integrated cluster underpinned by a core group of high-value activities such as hi-tech medicine, medical tourism, medical education and wellness.
With state-of-the-art medical facilities and highly qualified personnel, Mauritius is positioning itself to cater for the growing needs of both domestic and international patients.
Over the years the number of private institutions have doubled and future projections indicate that the sector is expected to substantially contribute to GDP and become a pillar of the economy.
The presence of global healthcare players is increasingly positioning Mauritius as a competitive high-tech medical hub.
GDP contribution: 4.4% (est. 2017)
No. of players: 29 (public & private hospitals and clinics)
Total employment: approx. 8500 (doctors, dentists, pharmacists, qualified nurses and midwives)
Foreign Patients: more than 18,000 in 2016
- Specialised diabetes research and treatment centres
- Specialised centres for elderly care & rehabilitative medicine
- Plastic reconstructive surgery clinics
- Clinics for dental surgery and dento-facial orthopaedics
- Convalescence and pain clinics providing specialised care to patients suffering from acute and chronic conditions
- Clinics specializing in sports medicine
- Wellness centres and health resorts for rehabilitation
- Exemption registration duty on the purchase/ lease of land for the construction of infrastructure
- Exemption of VAT on construction of private hospitals/clinics, residential care homes/nursing homes
- VAT exemption on medical, surgical and dental equipment
- No customs duty on selected equipment, machinery and furniture
- 50% annual allowance on electronic and computer equipment
- 35% annual allowance on other plant and machinery
- 5% allowance on capital expenditure incurred on construction/extension of clinic
- Free repatriation of profits, dividends and capital
- No capital gains tax
- 100% foreign ownership allowed
The Medical tourism industry in Mauritius has witnessed a sustained growth over the last years. The Mauritian private healthcare sector now boasts state-of-the-art facilities and highly-qualified personnel providing comprehensive high-end medical care which has enabled Mauritius to position itself as a leading destination for medical travel.
Mauritius has an impressive track record as an upmarket tourism destination and is now gradually transforming itself into a leading medical hub in the region. The island is an ideal destination where patients can undergo treatment, recuperate and enjoy a holiday at a competitive rate. In 2016, more than 18,000 foreign patients travelled to Mauritius for both inpatient and outpatient procedures and the value of the private health industry is estimated at around MUR 2 Billion.