The Mauritius/Seychelles Joint Commission of the Extended Continental Shelf (Joint Commission) is inviting proposal from eligible and qualified operators registered in Mauritius to undertake sustainable exploratory harvesting of sea cucumber in the Joint Management Area (JMA) for an initial staggered period of one year. The Joint Commission has developed a framework setting out the conditions governing sea cucumber fisheries in the JMA. All selected operators will have an obligation to strictly adhere to these conditions.
All proposal should be accompanied by the following information/documents:
- Proposal and methodology for sea cucumber fishing activities
- Business/Company documents including Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum and Articles of Association (if applicable)
- Details on storage, processing and market destination
- Valid fishing licence for operators
- Certification in accordance with national standards for divers
- All necessary permits for operating vessels at sea including valid skipper licence
- Experience in offshore fisheries
- Adherence to the list of conditions for sea cucumber fisheries
Since 2011, Mauritius and Seychelles have exercised joint jurisdiction over the seabed and subsoil of the JMA for the purpose of exploring and exploiting the living and non-living resources, including sea cucumber.
The current initiative is being undertaken to evaluate the distribution and stocks of sea cucumber in the JMA.
Submission of proposal
The submission of proposal with supporting information/documents in sealed envelopes and labelled with title “Proposal for sustainable exploratory harvesting of sea cucumber in the Joint Management Area” should be addressed to the following authority:
Economic Development Board (Head Office)
Ground Floor, 7 Exchange Square,
Wall Street, Ebene 72201
Republic of Mauritius
Any request for clarifications in respect of this invitation for proposal should be addressed in writing to the above authority not later than 7 days prior to the closing date.
Proposal by hand delivered should reach the above authority by the 13th of September 2023 at 02:00 pm.
Proposal received by e-mail shall be rejected.
The Republic of Mauritius reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal and to annul the whole exercise without thereby incurring any liability whatsoever towards any participant.
The document for the submission of the proposal can be downloaded from the following link: