The Human Resource Development Council (HRDC) in collaboration with the Economic Development Board (EDB) has established the Skills Development Support Scheme for Foreign Direct Investment (SDSS for FDI) to support foreign investors in the training of their employees. The availability of necessary skills is one of the determining factors in the foreign investment decision-making process.
The SDSS aims at creating a more agile and targeted skills development response to foreign investment. This scheme adopts a co-funding philosophy. The HRDC will provide funding for the eligible applicant for up to 80% of the total amount disbursed on training and the remaining 20% will be incurred by the applicant (in cash or in kind).
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- support local workforce development to attract direct foreign investments.
- assist in mounting skills development programmes with foreign investors.
- encourage development of higher levels of technical expertise and specialisation to help boost the skills base for the sector.
Criteria and conditions
- The scheme is applicable for projects with skills development component falling under economic and industry sectors being promoted by the EDB.
- To qualify for this scheme, the investment project should be registered with the EDB.
- This scheme adopts a co-funding philosophy (in cash or in kind). All costs have to be directly related to training. The HRDC will provide funding for the eligible applicant for up to 80% of the total amount disbursed on the training.
- This scheme is limited to employees of the enterprises who wish to train their local employees.
- Training can be conducted locally or abroad by local or foreign resource person.
- The scheme is not within the levy ceiling of the enterprise.
- The applicant shall benefit from the scheme within the first two years as from the date of payment of trade fees.
- There is no limit to the number of employees to be trained.
An enterprise can benefit from a maximum of Rs 2 million during the two years.
- The training project needs be approved by the SDSS for FDI Technical Committee prior to the start of the training.
- Signature of a Project Collaborative Agreement between the HRDC and the participating enterprise after approval of the project.
Download Application Form
Source : https://www.hrdc.mu/index.php/projects/sectoral-projects/326-skills-development-support-scheme-for-foreign-direct-investment-sdss-for-fdi